Adding Summer Curb Appeal to Your Home
When the warm summer months hit, a lot of us find ourselves turning our attention to the exterior of our homes. Whether you want to create an outdoor oasis in your backyard or would rather spruce up your front porch to enjoy, summer is the perfect time to do some updates to the exterior of your home to improve the curb appeal.
While we are interior designers, we can also help with improving the exterior! We are experts in colour, texture, and pattern, and we can help you achieve the look you want so you don’t end up spending thousands on new siding that you don’t even like in the end! Besides changing your siding, here are our top 5 ways to add some curb appeal to your home.
1. The first thing that must be included in a summer-themed post is of course to add potted flowers or plants to the front of your home. These could be at the top of your driveway on either side of the garage door, or they could be flanking your front steps. They could also run up the side of your steps or be flanking either side of your front door. The biggest mistake I see people make with their flower pots is using pots that are too small. Not only is this not ideal for the growth of the flowers, but the end result looks a little “cheap” and not very impactful. You’re much better off spending your money on two large pots rather than on several smaller ones.
2. Update your front door. For a lot of our main floor renovations, we end up selecting a new front door that is better suited to the new design. If the style of your door is nice, simply painting it a new colour can make a huge impact. Your front door is the perfect spot to add a punch of colour if the rest of the exterior is very neutral. In some cases, you may need to select a new door. In addition, sometimes just removing the storm door covering your main door will make your home look much more appealing and welcoming. Also consider adding a wreath to your door!
3. Improve the landscaping. Make sure current landscaping is not overgrown. Trim large bushes and trees and remove anything that is dead (especially any dead trees since these pose a safety risk). Remove weeds and add fresh mulch to garden beds.
4. This next tip is an interior element that impacts your exterior curb appeal! Keep the backside of your interior window coverings white or neutral and solid if possible (not patterned). This ensures that when your window coverings are drawn closed or are down, that there isn’t a bright colour or pattern showing through the window, which becomes an eyesore from the exterior if it clashes with the rest of the exterior elements. In addition, you typically don’t want to see the backsides of furniture through the window. So make sure that if you have any furniture in front of a window, that it is lower than the window. Check out the images below and how you can see the white backsides of the window coverings. Now imagine if these had been a bright colour or bold pattern- it would have definitely taken away from the pretty exterior!
5. Don’t forget about exterior lighting! Just like lighting makes a big impact on the interior of your home, it does the same for the exterior. You can add some gorgeous sconces on either side of your front door to make a big statement. Also consider lights lining the walkway to your front door and a spotlight that illuminates a certain area such as your house number. These not only add an extra level of functionality to your outdoor space, but they also create a really nice ambience. Updating any existing light fixtures, such as the ones on either side of your garage doors, can help to give your home character and a new look! Just make sure that you choose a style that works with the architectural style of your home. And just like the flower pots, don’t select ones that are too small! While it means spending more in the beginning, it will be worth it in the end. If they are too small, it won’t give you that amazing before and after transformation that I know you’re wanting to achieve!
We hope these ideas give you some guidance and direction as to how to improve your curb appeal. And as always, if you need professional help making these decisions, our luxury design consultation may be just what you need!